The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

Has it really been 43 days!?!

Yes - today was the first time in 43 days that I got down to the pool for a lunch-time swim. My accident back in June (See: For Maximum Pleasure - Don't fall off your bike!), took about 4 weeks to properly heal, right in time for the pool's annual closure for maintenance. I've had some open-water swimming in my new Speedsuit, but it's really been 43 days since a quality pool workout.

On the schedule: 1,500 meters (66 laps of the 25-yard pool). I always break it down into 3 sets of 500, taking a split at the end of the 500. Consequently, splits 2 and 3 inevitably have about 10-15 seconds longer due to heavy breathing at the conclusion of the prior set.

Here are the splits: 8:50, 9:34, 9:51; Total Time: 28:16 (1:53/100m).

Pretty decent. Only 2 minutes off my PB of 26:15 set back in April, when I was swimming 7,000 meters plus a week.