The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

Weekend Wrap-Up

....The Internet went down on Friday, so here's the Weekend Wrap-up from Thursday night to this morning....

Thursday Night Duathlon
There was a lot of construction along the Parkway on Thursday, and riding out to the duathlon, I didn't think it would be safe to ride the regular route - that was pretty much the consensus, so we modified the bike portion: 3 loops from the Transition area to Turn 1 and back - which turned out to be 18.5 K instead of 15, but added some more fun to the event, as you got to see the whole field of riders 3 or 4 times, as you passed on opposite sides of the road.

The Splits:
3K Run 1 - 12:23, T1 - 0:49, 18.5K Bike - 35:51, T2 - 0:40, 3K Run 2 - 13:40

I tried a new strategy this week, to hold back a bit on Run 1 - it worked, as I felt pretty good throughout the bike, and my calfs didn't cramp at all.

Friday Morning Swim
This was the morning, I had been waiting all week for! My alarm went off at 5:15, and I couldn't wait to get out of bed. I arrived at Meech Lake around 6am, trotted down and joined the 50-60 others for the morning swim - SPEEDSUIT in hand.

Putting it on, was effortless. I was very happy that I got the size 6.5. Although tight in the shop (at the end of the day, and after having eaten supper), it fit perfectly first thing in the morning.

I was immediately happy with it. The fit was perfect, and the neck was very comfortable. I did notice 2 other things: 1) It felt somewhat restrictive around my right shoulder [I attribute this to not properly working the rubber up and around my shoulder] 2) It was HOT! But a) The air temp was 82+ b) the water temp must have been
75+ c) the rising sun was big and bright. I only did 2 loops of the island (approx 1400m) - I did time them, but I erased my watch by accident on the weekend.

Weekend Training

We went down to Cornwall for Saturday night and Sunday. Saturday was a backyard party that went on till around 1:30 before finally being busted up by the cops (but that's not really got much to do with TriTraining). It was pretty funny though - it felt like high school all over again.

Sunday morning (not hung over this time), I went out for the Jelly Bean Run. However, it was MUGGY like you wouldn't beleive, so instead of the usual 6 loops @ 10.5 K, I did 4 for a total of 7K.

Here were the splits:
1.75 K = 8:57, 3.5K = 9:10, 5.25K = 9:31, 7.0K = 9:20. Total Time = 36:59
Using my Fabulous TriCalculator this works out to a dismal 5:17 pace. However, it was muggy. How Muggy? So muggy, I did the unthinkable - I actually ran bare chested.



But here's something to get my Geek-On. I tried out a Pedometer - it came in a box of Frosted Flakes. My 7,000 meter run took me 5720 steps. 0.81 Steps per meter or 154 steps per minute. I have no idea if this means anything.

Monday Morning Swim
....and so, even though it's going to be a late night tonight, I couldn't resist getting up early again for a swim in my new suit. I Loooove the smell by the way, I may have some weird fetish now, because sometimes I catch myself, rubbing my face on it as if I were a cat, and it were a sack of catnip. I hope that "new wetsuit smell" never goes away.. but I digress... Up early again for a swim at Petrie Island.

This was a timed swim and I knew my splits from before (sans-wetsuit).

This morning they were:
200m - 2:31, 400m - 3:27, 600m - 3:00, 800m - 3:39, 1000m - 2:51, 1200m - 3:51
Total Time = 19:22 (1:36 / 100m)

Previous time (sans-suit) = 1:56 /100m

OK - The current wasn't as strong today, and the 1:56 time, was at an easy pace - but I'm certain the wetsuit is much, much faster!

And this morning - I worked the rubber up fully around my shoulders, and no problemo.