The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

It's a love-hate relationship

I love running.

10 years ago I would have laughed my ass off if you told me I would ever utter those 3 words together.

My wife loves running.

We don't like running in the dark, the snow, or cold rain.

Our Christmas present to each other last year was a treadmill. Not an el-cheapo $250 Wal-mart special, but a $2000 "commercial grade" bad-boy.

Unlike 99.99% of people that own treadmills - we actually use ours.

But - we have a love-hate relationship with it. We love it when it works. We hate it when it breaks. It's been broken twice so far - first the rear roller-bearings, and then about a month ago, the front roller-bearings.

Last night, as the repairman left, (we've gotten to know him quite well), I said, "No offence, but I hope we never see you again!" To which he replied... "Yeah, you said that the last time."

Of course I had to try it out. Even though I had run the previous 2 evenings. I did a moderate 5 miles (8K) on it. All was well again. Smooth and silent.

The kicker with this model (aside from breaking down) is that the darn thing comes from the US and is in Imperial units. Miles and MPH (there's no magic key sequence to switch it to km/hr). Not to worry, I had my trusty treadmill conversion chart handy.