The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

It stopped raining and I freaking did it.

Thursday Night Duathlon: Mission Accomplished.

The rain ended around 3:30 yesterday, almost immediately, the sun came out. 2 hours later, at the 5:30 start - everything was dry.

OK Gang... "Go!"

First run, feeling comfortable... but a little slow. Picking it up a bit. Speedsters have already shot off - running alone, but I can hear someone close behind me - it must be Bruce... why hasn't he passed me yet? Usually he's out in front. Down the hill "Don't staircase it" I remind myself, "run down the hill", feeling good - half-way point 5:55 - not bad, a tad slow.

Running along the water now - sun is out and bright, but not hot. I know this route like the back of my hand now. Every single bend and turn. Every single tree.

Up the ramp, over the road (no traffic) - into T1 SPLIT 11:58 - Nice.

I didn't take water, just rip off the shoes and go - on the bike heading out SPLIT 31 - Sweet.

Don't kill yourself on the first couple hundred meters ... Bruce goes flying by ... I remind myself - I'm not racing - I'm going for the PB.

Up and over the overpass... approaching first turnaround.. check for traffic..

F***

I can't believe this.... six, seven, eight cars... 21 seconds lost... F*** F*** F*** so much for sub-53. I talk myslef down - relax - only 21 seconds - if I'd have been 12:10 for Run 1 and 41 out of T1 - I'd still be on track..

Cadence, Cadence, Cadence - don't drop below 80 - keep high 80's

Approaching 2 cyclists side-by-side warming up for OBC TT.... "ON YOUR LEFT".... scream by doing 40+ @ 107 - keep it up.... pulling on aeorbars. 2 minutes later, they pass me... too close for my liking... they pull in ... and SLOW DOWN!??!? WTF! ....what to do? Turnaround two in less than 500m - don't sweat it. ..... they pull off, Turnaround 2 - no traffic. Hammer it home. Get into Transition, SPLIT - didn't even look at time.

Rip, rip (shoe straps), shoes off - snap, snap (running shoes on) - click-thud (helmet off) - run out. SPLIT 15 SECONDS "YOU DA MAN!"

Second run - feeling great - no cramps, no stitches. Run Fast. Run Fast. Run Fast. Hands down. Hands down. Sight a tree in the near distance - run a fast tangent to it - before I get there - sight a new target, run a fast tangent.... Down the hill, around the bend... 6:05 45:4? "I can finish this in seven minutes for sure" --- "Don't even think about 7 minutes... faster than that"... along the water.... "Whoa, Ramp up already?" Hammer down the heels going up the hill.

Over the road, into the parking lot, over the "line" SPLIT 52:15.

* * *
Wow! I did it. ALL MY SEASON's GOALS HAVE BEEN MET! Time to relax, and enjoy.