The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

The Greatest Swim Ever

Today's lunch-time swim was the greatest ever. I didn't break any records, I didn't even try. Today's swim reminded me why I go swimming at lunch in the first place. It was a back-to-basics reality check. I started swimming at lunch long before even contemplating triathlons - I started swimming to
  • break up the work day
  • clear my head
  • enjoy the leisurely stroll through the market and
  • get some exercise.
Today's workout- 400 yds of easy-to-medium warm up, 3 x 100 IM (Butterfly, back, breast, free), 3 x 150 front crawl (emphasis on long-strokes). That came up to 1000yds, so I just tacked on 2 laps of breast stroke to cool down and put me up to 1000 meters. My lane was empty, so it was just me - how great is that.

The 3x100 IM - I hate butterfly, but what a feeling when you finally get to the wall! ...and an IM is a great set, the final lap of front-crawl, you feel so strong and powerful. I took them at 1:45 pace, with 15 seconds rest in between.

I even treated myself to a new lock for my locker and I renewed my pool-pass.

With my triathlon season more-or-less finished, and only 6 seconds to shave off on my 5K PB and literally only one second to shave off on my Thursday night duathlon, I can now afford some time, to enjoy exercising.