The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

Get Your Geek on - Rubber Style

...the wetsuit is mine. Orca Speedsuit... first date with it, this Friday morning 6AM, Meech Lake....

I got the size 6.5, I'm dead smack in the middle of their sizing chart for this size. I tried it on, and couldn't believe how tight it was. So I tried on the size 7 - the size 7 felt perfect - I tried the 6.5 on again - tight. I got the 6.5 because, it's supposed to be tight on land (it loosens up in the water ...hopefully). I knew the 7 would be too big in the water.

After the kids were in bed, I went for a fast 5K run, my "Tour-de-Rothwell" route. As I was stretching, I was debating with myself - do I go fast, try a PR, or take it easy. It was warm and muggy... but I had my new shoes... my perfect new shoes.

I went for it.
4:17, 4:07, 4:13, 4:11, 4:14 a PR of 21:05, only 5 BLEEPING seconds short of my goal for the year.

I was on the verge of bailing about 1/2 way through -but The Commodore's Post about Never Quit, and the Kahuna's post about mediocrity kept me going. Funny thing how blogging can be a performance enhancing substance!

This was a much better run than my previous PR, as I was fairly consistant from split to split. The last time, I started fast, and finished slow. I just need to shave off a second per split, and I'll be all done!