Rubber Rules
Friday, June 03, 2005
I was so excited about this morning, I woke up 20 seconds before my alarm went off at 4:59:40. Today was going to be my first open water swim of the year, and my first swim ever in a wetsuit.I was nervous as hell as I drove out to Meech Lake. I hate cold water. I'm the biggest baby when it comes to getting into cold water. Meech Lake was frozen solid 2 months ago - how warm it could possibly be today?
The answer: very warm, suprisingly warm, as in not cold at all. Relief.
Cycle Logik had organised a demo day with Nineteen Triathlon at Meech Lake this morning at 6am: show up, and try out a wetsuit.
They have 3 main models: Tsunami, Riptide and Pipeline. Priced at $570, $450 and $330 respectively. I didn't even want to try the Tsunami, for fear that I might like it!
I did try the Riptide (blue) and the Pipeline (red)
The first one I tried was the Riptide. I got in the water (thankfully not cold), waded out, went horizontal - and couldn't believe it. All the hype is true - wetsuits make you float! I started to swim - it was easy - I didn't feel any rubbing or chaffing or tightness at all - within 20 seconds, I had my mind made up: I'VE GOT TO GET ONE!
I got back to shore and realised I hadn't timed my swim, but it felt good.
For curiosity sakes, I tried the less-expensive model. It felt more-or-less the same on land, but there was an obvious difference in the water - a little tighter, a little less flexible - I did feel it pulling at my shoulders (perhaps I just needed the next size up in that model?). Again, I headed out for a 750m loop - but this time I timed it: 11:26.
Holy Cow! That's fast for me. Using my Triathlon Calculator that works out to be 1:31/100m (very competitive).
All in all a great start to the day.
Last night's duathlon. We had a great turn out due in part to the TriRudy postings. I managed to beat my previous time, but alas, did not finish first, as some of last years speedsters were out, and a newcomer who gave the course record a run for it's money.
What was obvious - as Matt so subtley pointed out - is my T1 stinks! I've really got to get some Yankz, and learn how to put my bike shoes on while starting out on the bike.
Here were the splits, good enough for fourth place.
| Run 1 (3K) | 12:46 |
|---|---|
| T1 + Bike (15K) | 28:29 |
| T2 | 0:40 |
| Run 2 (3K) | 13:46 |
| Total | 55:41.85 |
So not too bad, chipping away ever so slightly on my PB, heading towards my sub-53 minute goal for the year.