The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

Imagine if..

I've been dogging it. Since the half-marathon at the end of April, I've had zero focus with respect to "training". Probably because, I haven't set a new goal ... but to be honest, I'm not too interested in going further or faster. It hurts too much and takes too much effort. I seem perfectly content living my life of gluttony, and then going for a 5K jog to burn off a couple hundred calories every now and again.

And - even worse - enough to make my 2005 self cringe - I haven't even tracked mileage or workouts since March. I have no idea how many miles I have on my current shoes. No idea how long my last bike ride was on Sunday - my bike computer doesn't even work! The Garmin Geek is officially dead. I'm turning into one of those guys who show up to races.... for FUN!

But... imagine if I did start training??? Last night - case in point, I didn't even really want to go to the duathlon. Yet, when I got there, just being there amped me up a bit, and I had a decent night. 54:38 - right on par with what I would normally be 2 or 3 years ago. The VD chase, was 21:30 (only 37 seconds shy of a PB). With the right program, and a good diet, I could smoke my 2005 self!

Quit drinking beer and start training??? Bahhh. The "beer mile" is coming up soon. Now there's a good excuse to continue working on my Molson Muscle.