The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

MS Half Marathon 2014 - Race Report


I ran a decent MS - Half Marathon today. It was cold and drizzly. A lot of the regular 1/2 marathon players were absent.... possibly a chance at the podium....

I started slow and steady, as the absolute last runner. My opening splits were 5:13 and 5:07 - a bit faster than what I would have wanted to. I was getting nervous as the race was thinning out and the pack was getting further and further away. I turned it on around 2.5K and started reeling people in. It's kind of a not-nice thing to do, I would target the runner in front of me, bridge the gap, hold up for a while, and then pass them. At the turnaround there was really only one other person in sight that I could catch, and I did - but then I was all alone for the rest of the run. (Until the 10K's started whizzing by me.)
Running up a hill, looking goofy.


All in all a good race, I went as hard as I could for the most of the run, and couldn't have done much better.

I ended up with 3rd place M40-49 and an official time of 1:39:53.1. Not a PB, but still pretty good.

Nutrition was: Big bowl of Corn Pops, Medium bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, 2 Day-Quill tabs* to calm the man-cold I'd been putting up with for the past 3 days, a gel at 7K and again at 14K, sips of on-course Gatorade at about 5 aid stations.

*Not sure if the Day Quill is considered a PED - and frankly wasn't sure if I was even going to be able to handle running 1/2 marathon, but it seemed do away with the phlegm, and allow me to breath properly for the first time in a while.



Oh, and Guylaine got 2nd female overall, 1st AG in the half; Andrew got 3rd M15-19 in 5K and Laura coasted an easy 5K at sub 30. Pretty good day of running for Les Barnes.

Training Peaks Garmin File


I wore the HR monitor, just out of curiosity. I'm thinking I should probably start to train properly sooner or later, and this would be a decent baseline data series.