The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

Physiology Testing

Bruce, from my Duathlon Training group runs a physiology lab at the University of Ottawa. A while back, he put out a plea for test subjects for his students to hone their skills on. Naturally, I was up for the challenge. Especially since it meant a free VO2 Max test.

For VO2 max, you can do it on the treadmill or stationary bike. I had done one previously on a bike, and I wanted to be able to figure out my running AT. So, I did it this time on the treadmill.

The initial "protocol" had me starting at 1.5 MPH going up in 0.5 MPH increments and 2% incline every 3 minutes. I'm no super-athlete, but that will take a while to get the heart pumping, so they modified it and had me start at 1.5 MPH and 10% incline, rising to 15% very quickly, and then adding the speed every 3 minutes.

I made it to 6.5 MPH at 15% incline with a heart rate in the low 180s before calling it quits. It doesn't sound like much, but the 15% incline is killer after a while. I think the breathing apparatus, caused me to pack it in earlier than expected, because my throat was starting to dry out and it felt like it was closing up on me.

66.5 was my V02 Max result. Not bad, if I do say so myself. Full results and analysis will be sent to me shortly.

Part of the process was a body composition analysis. I had done a full-body DEXXA scan once, a couple of years ago, and scored 9.8% body fat. This morning's test was less scientific, and I'm guessing much less accurate - as I measured in at only 5.2%