The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

Ahhh, that's better

I'm still without a training plan - so it's going to be status quo for a while. That means, swimming at lunch. Monday's swim triggered a bout of depression, today was much better.

To start things off, I treated myself to a new pair of goggles. Parmel PM-100A Black, with tinted Silver lenses. (http://www.parmel.ca -- let's just say, I'm glad I didn't judge the goggles by their website). I apparently got a good deal as well, they're listed at $27 on the website, I think the pool was only asking $15 for them.

My current goggles are Speedo Vanquisher - and I do like them. But the anti-fog is not working so good. Good enough for the pool, but not for outdoors. Why tinted lenses? I've always used clear lenses - they suit me best in the pool - but lately during open water swims I have been frustrated by the glare from the Sun. I'm hoping these will help with that. I'll keep this new pair for open-water and racing with.

They worked well in the pool - a bit odd, as everything looked dark. Which led to a minor fear about tinted goggles and open-water: I've heard that on dark days, in dark water, with dark goggles - the only thing you can see is the reflection of your own eyeballs staring back at you.

Anyhow, the workout went well. I did 500m easy, 500 medium, and by then the pool was clearing out. There was only me and another guy in my lane. Actually he was very slow, but it worked out well because I managed to get some drills in (too difficult normally at lunch time). I did 4 x 25-50-25 drills - my favourites - 25 easy, 50 medium followed by 25 all-out.

I timed it just right, I set off as the other guy was approaching me at the wall, by the last lap, it worked out so that he was about 1/3 down the lane, so I could stay on my half of the lane, beat him to the wall, have 15 seconds to rest and set off again. I averaged about 1:30 per set, so that was encouraging.

I can't say enough about these drills, they really get me psyched. The flip turn into the last lap gets me so charged up. It made me realize how much I missed the Masters sessions I was going to over the winter/spring. I think I'll start that up again in the Fall.