Wizards and Duct Tape
Tuesday, June 14, 2005
The healing process is going well. Friday - It basically burned like Hell; Saturday - It stung; Sunday - It ached; and now... the Itching! But overall, it's going well. The local pharmacy is adding a new Wing in my honour. Road Rash is expensive: The creams, ointments, bandages, pads....Road Rash is the easiest way to get total strangers to talk to you - although, their opening line 9 times out of 10, is, "Oh my God, what happened to you??". The best was Andrew's daycare provider: "How did you do that?" Me: "I fell off my bike racing" - Her: "Racing, at your age?"
We had a nice weekend, the weather has really warmed up 40 degrees with the humidex - so we turned on the AC for the first time since last July - thankfully, it still works. We celebrated Laura's birthday on Sunday. The rest of the time, the kids spent in the new pool.
Of course it was bound to happen, given the proximity of the sandbox to the pool - and sure enough, on Sunday, it did happen. For what seemed like a totally logical reason, to a 6 year old, a quarter bucket of sand got dumped in the pool.
Sure, I got mad, but then did the new-age thing. "Ok, I want you to take out all the sand from the pool" Andrew: "But How?" Me: "Well, you'll have to think of a way."
Andrew hummed and hawed.
Idea 1: "We can empty the pool, and then dump it upside down"
Me: Yes, that'll work, but it's not practical because....
Idea 2: "We can get some really sticky Scotch tape, and stick it on the sand, and pick it all up"
Me: You know, that's crazy enough, that it just might work - I've got some super sticky Duct tape - we tried it, and it did kind of work, but it only picked up about 10 grains at a time.
Idea 3: After some serious thinking. Andrew looks me in the eye , "I know, we can get a magician, and he'll say 'Abracadabra' and it'll all be gone"
Now, if an adult had have come up with that idea, you'd laugh it off as silly - but to a six year old. It makes perfect sense! So, I conceded, "Ok- that's a great idea, but I don't think they work on Sundays".
Monday, was a day off for Guylaine and I. Time alone, together: 40K bike ride, 5K run... nice and relaxing. We spent some time shopping in our local Running store, and I got a new pair of ASICS GEL GT-2100's .... I'll try them out tonight.