The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

For Maximum Pleasure - Don't fall off your bike!

Alternate title #1 for this post: Road Rash Hurts!
Alternate title #2 for this post: So that's why they shave their legs!

Last night's duathlon drew a huge crowd. I arrived a little late myself, as I had to boot it home to pick up my shoes... I had forgetten them! But managed to get there, and set up just on time to head out.

The First Run:
Immediately, last week's winner, Steve, and a newcomer shot out in front. I was in the second pack, with Matt and a newcomer, Andy. We were running strong - dipping into the slightly uncomfortable range for me - which isn't a bad thing. We arrived into transition together, as the first group of 2 were heading out. T1, for this duathlon is not my strongest - I was 5th coming out, and many, many people were arriving as I was getting ready.

The Bike:
Perfect -- nice and easy, spinning to warm up.... up and over the overpass ... no problem, 1st turnaround - no problem -- at the 4 km mark, up the overpass and down... and down.


I'm not 100% sure what happened but I was at top speed, 42.5 km/hr, perfect aero position, and then a wobble - I think my front wheel hit a rut in the road, or a road snake or something, next thing I know, I'm thinking in my head, "Oh crap, here it comes." Next thing, I'm watching my bike slide down the road - and I'm sliding down the road too at 40 km/hr on my left side, using my right hand as brake.

Eventually, the bike and I came to a stop. I got up quickly - fortunately, there were no cars around me, and no one was behind me. I jogged over to my bike - it didn't look too bad. I was slightly embarassed, and knew there was a whole gang of people that would be catching up to me shortly, and I didn't want them to see me walking - so I got back on and spun casually for a while. It hurt like hell, but it was still manageable.

No, this is not me -- but my left shoulder, left butt cheek, left elbow, left knee and left shin look a lot like this!

My right palm is torn to shreds and heavily bruised.

A nice 8-inch diameter patch of hair was ripped from calf - so now you know why they shave their legs!



Plan A: gently cycle back to the transition area and wait for the rest of the gang to finish.
Plan B: gently cycle the rest of the bike leg, and sit out the second run.

Ok - Plan B it was. I'm on my way - only a couple of people have passed me. I'm getting used to the modified riding style (Aero Bars were all frigged up). I put in a little more effort, and I'm over 30km/hr.... ok - let's try to see how fast we can go. Sure enough I finished the bike leg, not my fastest time. I was only about 30 seconds behind Andrew Carryer.

Oh - why the heck not... I set out for the second run. (Covered in blood, looking like a chainsaw massacre victim). I caught up to Andrew at about 500m, he was taking it easy. So we jogged the last part of the run together.

The Splits

Run 1 (3k)12:20
T11:11
Bike + HORRIFIC CRASH + T2 (15K)30:33
Run 2 (3k)15:28 (jogged it in)
Total Time59:34


Definately not a Personal Best, nor a season best, but strangely enough - faster than my fastest last year ... go figure.

Why did I keep going - I don't know. I'm stubborn like that. It hurt a lot, but it wasn't excruciating. I suppose I took a chapter out of the kids' book. Whenever, they fall off their bikes, and believe me, they've had their share of horrific crahses, they just get up and keep going.

Oh, and PS:
Happy Birthday Laura! (4 Years old today... 4 going on 21)
What was her favourite present - her new swim goggles of course. She wore them all through breakfast, and was a little heart broken that she couldn't wear them to school.