The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

The Longest Run Ever

We had a great weekend, a nice Father's day - we went to the Gloucester Fair - spent lots of money - had lots of fun.

In the evening, I headed out for a 17 km run attempt. From my house to the Rockcliffe Parkway, turn right, continue to the OBC TT turnaround, back down to the next turnaround and back home.

My longest run to date had been around 12 km.

I headed out last night, with a goal of completing the run, practicing hydration and practicing "taking it easy".

I felt really good for the whole run, my hip flexors ached a little (at least I think it was my hip flexors), but no major discomfort. I didn't have any trouble breathing. I drank a little bit, every 2-3 km (probably 500 mL total for the whole distance).

At about 14 k, I had to talk myself out of adding on another 4 kilometers (to get half-marathon distance). 1) I told Guylaine, I'd only be gone for an hour and twenty minutes - I'd be at least 40 minutes late 2) the additional 4K route would be through residential streets - I was pretty sure, that the last 4 clicks of my run, wouldn't be the most graceful ones.

I made it home, 17 km, in 1:37:23 (5:43 /km ~ 9:13 /mile average).

It drove me nuts not having each kilometer marked off. I knew some distances, but others I had no idea - so I used certain land marks as way-points for out-and-back comparisons and for reference. Here are the splits (for me to compare with in the future).

Way PointApprox DistSplitElapsed
Start00:000:00:00
1 Km105:110:05:11
2 Km (just before P8 Parking Lot)205:500:11:01
Green Creek Bridge (2nd Expansion Joint)
05:250:16:26
HWY 174 Overpass (1st Expansion Joint)
09:190:25:45
Turnaround 1503:000:28:46
HWY 174 Overpass (1st Expansion Joint)
02:480:31:34
Green Creek Bridge (2nd Expansion Joint)
08:550:40:33
P8 Parking Lot8

1 Km (Parkway Start Point)911:270:51:52
Bend in road (2K marker on my 5K route)1005:490:57:47
Boat Launch Overpass (2nd Expansion Joint)
07:581:05:00
Turn around 21305:531:11:38
Boat Launch Overpass (2nd Expansion Joint)
05:411:17:20
Bend in road (2K marker on my 5K route)1507:501:25:10
1 Km (Parkway Start Point)1606:181:31:29
Home1705:541:37:23