Marathon Musing
Tuesday, October 02, 2007
A Marathon is a long distance to run. 42.2 kilometers. wow.The most I have ever run is half that distance. And it was a very long distance to run.
But this year, I ran a half-marathon a lot quicker than I thought (as a stand alone race); and I even ran a half-marathon, immediately following a 1.2 mile swim and 90k bike ride - I kind of remember that it hurt a bit - but I still managed it.
Is the marathon next on my "To Do" list? Not sure. But, I'm just plugging in some numbers into the McMillan Running Calculator. Basically, you put in a past performance, and based on some quasi-scientific analysis, it spits out expected times for various distances. The scary thing, is that for me, it's more or less fairly accurate - of course, I've never run the marathon, so I can't comment on its accuracy at that distance. But, it has me finishing well within 4 hours. Something that I find quite difficult to believe.
Just for kicks... here are the outputs, based on my inputs (of recent past performances) - 5K , 10K and half-marathon. The last line calculates equivalent effort times for 5K, 10K and 1/2 mary based on a 4 hour marathon. Frankly, I could comfortably achieve those times.
Scary.
| 5K | 10K | 1/2 Mar | Marathon |
|---|---|---|---|
| 21:23 | 44:25 | 1:38:51 | 3:28:28 |
| 22:18 | 46:19 | 1:43:04 | 3:37:22 |
| 22:11 | 46:04 | 1:42:31 | 3:36:12 |
| 24:37 | 51:08 | 1:53:48 | 4:00:00 |