The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

The cat is now out of the bag



It was formally announced, company wide this morning, oddly enough to a large round of applause. I will be leaving my current place of employment.

The family and I are moving from Ottawa to my wife's home town of Cornwall. We are building a new house. Cornwall is a little over an hour away. My plan was to continue to work from home, or to commute, or a combination of both. But, oddly enough a position in Cornwall became available that seemed to be tailor made for me.

My training is in Engineering. Specifically, water resources engineering. I left that field about 6 years ago to persue programming and web development. I have enjoyed immensely my current position, and have risen up the ranks of the company. However, I've harboured a longing to return to engineering for a while now. I responded to a n ad that was posted a month ago by the local Conservation Authority in Cornwall for a water resources engineer... and wouldn't you know it... I got it.

I'm very excited to be returning to engineering. Especially with the conservation authority. I will be starting on May 1, and will have to commute by car until the end of August, so that will throw a bit of a damper on my regular Thursday duathlon training group. I'll have to hook up with the local multi-sport scene when we get settled.