The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

The Masters



The one good thing about the province wide strike of College staff, is that my wife's Thursday night class is cancelled. Sucks for her, but great for me: I was able to get in a Masters Swim.

You're never too old to learn how to swim properly

I'm a pretty competent swimmer. Of all the three triathlon disciplines, I'm generally above average on the swim. When I was a kid, I was on the swim team. Backstroke was my specialty. In fact, when I was a junior, I lead-off the senior boys Medley Relay.

It seems all my life, I've been backstroking incorrectly. Go figure. I must have been taught to "windmill" beacause that's how I swim swam the backstroke. Hélène, stopped me after a set last night - basically, she taught me to break at the elbow and push the water down to my feet. Son-of-a-gun... backstroke is all that much more faster now! Of course I'll never backstroke in a triathlon, but it just goes to show.

Last night's workout

Warm Up:
400 Easy
8 x 100 - Mix up: pull, drill, kick, mix up the strokes
4 x 100 - 1,3 = Free, 2,4 = choice
Main Set:
3 x 200 - 1,3 = Free, 2 = IM (gotta love 200 IM)
100 Kick
2 x 100 - Free, medium pace
400 - Free, build up
100 - Easy
4 x 100 - Free: 25 Easy, 50 Med, 25 Hard
200 - Easy
4 x 50 - Hard
Cool Down:
400
-----------------------------------------------------------
Total Distance: 4,200 Yards (3,840 meters)
=========================================