The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

A Decision has been made. "A" Race #1 is booked.

Ottawa Race WeekendI am a triathlete. I tri for numerous reasons, one main reason is that ... and I'll be honest ... I'm not particularly good at swimming, biking or running... but throw them all together, add a pinch of adrenaline, bundle it with a stubborn "positive" attitude, and I can hold my own.

Running is my weakest discipline. I only started running 2 years ago. My first run was 2 kilometers. I thought I was going to die. I've gotten much better. I actually enjoy running now. My longest run is 17 km, I've done this a few times, with an average of 1:38 (5:45/km, 9:16/mile).

I thought I would tackle a half-ironman this year. (It still may be in the cards for September/October). But, the summer is shaping up to be hectic enough that it wouldn't be fair to myself or my family to commit to that for the summer. Definately next year.

In the mean time, I've signed up for the Half-Marathon - ING Ottawa Race Weekend, Sunday May 28.

My goal: 01:45 ... 4:58/km (8:00 /mile)

The timing of this event, means I will not be able to participate in the Early Bird Triathlon the week before. Which is unfortunate, as I did suprisingly well in that event last year. However, what a difference it will be to race with 6,000 fellow competitors.

Let the training begin...