The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

Like a Trip down Memory Lane

I finally got around to watching my Ironman Kona 2006 tape on Saturday. Guylaine was at work, the kids were upstairs chillin-out watching cartoons after an afternoon of tobogganing and snowman building. I flashed up the treadmill and dropped in the tape. Upon hearing the "beep-beep-beep" of the treadmill on-cycle, the kids came tearing downstairs. "Can I go, can I go, my turn, my turn, me, me, me, me!" First Laura -- after 5 minutes, I had to crank it up to 3.5MPH, before she'd give up. Then Andrew... who lasted a good 3 minutes at 3MPH and 12% incline.. Finally it was my turn.

I assumed the kids would head back upstairs when I started, but they were captivated by the Ironman tape. "Is that your race Daddy?"... "No... maybe someday... nah, probably not."

Andrew was totally captivated by it. I tried my best to explain what A.L.S. was (see the John Blais story).

Not only was this his first exposure to amputee athletes (see the Sarah Reinersten story), but I'm pretty sure it was his first exposure to German swearing and tantrums, courtesy of Norman Stadler (Hey, I'd be swearing too!)

Anyhow, the time flew by. My impression of this year's show... not great, ok, not great. Last year's seemed so much better. Phil Liggett, of course, you gotta love him, but it didn't sound right, and made the overall production chunky and less fluid.

My biggest gripe: WHERE's LISA BENTLEY??? How much of a great story-line opportunity loss was that? Hands-down, odds-on Ironman favourite, completes swim, bike, and gets to mile 10 of the run, only to pull-up because of a ruptured appendix. Now, that's unfinshed business.

...but the Memory Lane part...



We visited my parents in Brocvkille on Sunday. Guylaine and I went for a run. It was the first time I had run through my old 'hood. As a kid, this area seemed like the entire Universe. No way, could you run from Stewart Blvd to Laurier Hill! Well, I did it, and then some, and it was only 7.3 K! A Garmin 301 would have been fun to have for this run (hint, hint, nudge, nudge).

And finally... 6000 Kilometers in one day


Yesterday's 5:20 reveille, was reminiscent of an early Meech lake swim. Unfortunately, flying 3000 KM to Calgary, a 7 hour meeting and then flying back home in the same day, isn't as much fun.