The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

First swim in a LONG time

I had my first (real) swim in a long time this morning. Open water at Petrie Island Beach. Great conditions - a little cool outside, making the water feel warmer than it probably was. I learned last night that the West-East buoy line is 200m long from end to end on the main beach - so this was perfect. Being it was my first swim in almost a month, I took it fairly easy, and only did 1200m (the last 200m being a relaxing breast-stroke).

Here are the splits:
200m 3:01
400m 4:37
600m 3:35
800m 4:37
1000m 3:38
1200m 4:52 (breast stroke)
Total 24:22 - ok time for a relaxed swim.

Can you tell which way the current was going?

Last Night's Duathlon
A great turnout again. The only problem is that more and more fast people are showing up, pushing me further down the results sheet!

The Splits:
Run 1 (3K) 12:09
T1 00:53
Bike (15K) 27:52
T2 00:45
Run 2 (3K) 14:04
Total Time 55:44

Notes: I had my fastest Run 1 time, but I felt lousy for the last half of it- I had eaten too much before hand, and I could feel the sloshing in my stomach. By the second run, I had a wicked stitch, and both calfs were cramped. But somehow, I only missed a PR by 36 seconds. Go Figure.