The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

Do as I say, not as I do

My replacement shoes finally arrived on Friday (3 weeks after ordering them) - I picked them up on Saturday. Asics Gel 1100. These were to replace the GT-2100's that I was in love with - but simply hurt me when I ran in them. And to succeed the Gel 1090's that saw a good 750K before asking to be put to pasture.

When I bought the 2100's I did the smart thing - I overcame, my desire to go running right away, and I ran in them on the treadmill a few times. They hurt - no problem, the store I bought them at has a great return policy - so long as you have only run on a treadmill.

With the 1100's... I just couldn't wait. ....and to make things worse, I didn't do an easy 5K, I didn't do a slow 10K... I went all out with a 17K-er. I knew better - I knew I'd regret it - I'd botch up my knees, I'd end my season early, I'd get blisters... BUT, I DIDN'T. The running gods shined down on me, and all was good. Perfect, in fact. and to prove it wasn't a fluke, I ran a fast 5K on the treadmill last night - all is good.

My new shoes, were considerably cheaper than the 2100s, I returned. Coupled with a 15% discount coupon, I picked up a sweet new toy: a Fuel Belt 3 bottle + 1 flask belt. Total cost was about the same as the other shoes anyways - so bonus to me!

I used it for my long run on Saturday, and I really prefer it over my "pain-in-the-back" bottle thingy. I didn't use Gel in the flask, but Gatorade instead. It was a perfect volume - 21 oz of water and 6oz of Gatorade. I had a little bit of water left when I got home one hour and 33 minutes later.

I capped off my weekend of "do as I say, not as I do" this morning with a swim at Petrie Island beach. Buddy-less, a.k.a. all alone. Folks do not do this. But, I couldn't say no to the calm waters. 1200 meters of nice and easy.