The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

Record Breaking 5K Run

I broke my previous best 5K time last night, and came just 15 seconds shy of my goal for the year. I ran 5K in 21:15.

I had set out trying to beat my previous best - If I wanted to beat my goal, I knew I needed to run sub 4:15 for each kilometer. I'm terrible at time-management / run-management, so my plan was basically to run as hard as I could for as long as I could. Any split under 4:15 was like time in the bank, that I could chew into for the last couple of kilometers. .... I was sure I was going to need it.

When I hit my 250m pace marker at 55 seconds, I had a feeling it was going to be a good run, when I got to 500m in 1:49, I started to giggle with anticipation. 3:47 for the first kilometer!!!! I couldn't believe it. Forget about sub 4:15... Sub 4:00, and with attitude.

Second kilometer, felt like I was running in slow motion - I wanted to go faster, but I just couldn't seem to go as fast as I wanted. I hit the lap button: 4:01 (Wow!) I'm doing great.

2.5 k at the turn around point - 10:00 exactly - I'm totally pumped.

3.0 k, hit the split 4:17 -- no problem, I was way sub 4:15 for the first 2 kilometers I can borrow 2 seconds now.

3.30 k, cramps!
3.35 k, oooh the agony
3.40 k - fight through it
3.60 k - puke reflex acting up - so much for my great run
3.62 k - remember something in a race report about how puking on the run is not necessarily a bad thing
3.65 k - don't even think about it!
3.90 k - settling down....

4.0 K - 4:36, phew... still on track (albeit, I've borrowed a lot of time from the bank... do I have enough legs left?)

4.3 K - So this is what max heart rate feels like.
4.4 K - I don't like this feeling one bit.
4.5 K - Definately not smiling.


5.0 K 4:32 split, 21:15 total.

Wohoo I did it! I didn't beat my goal, but only 15 seconds shy. Definately attainable.

Here are the splits....

Distance (km)Time
103:47.85
204:01.47
304:17.24
404:36.38
504:32.77
Total21:15.71