The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

The Silliness of it All

I swam 1,500 meters at lunch time. It felt good to be back in the pool - after over 100 hours (funny how that seems like a long time now).

I would have preferred to have done drills, but it just doesn't jive with the flow of the other swimmers. So, I did my laps - conscious of bilateral breathing: 1-2-3, 1-2-3. My plan was to knock-off 1500: a) try for a 1,000 meter PB, and then b) add 500m of relaxed effort.

Sure enough - for what ever reason, I beat my previous 1000m best by 30 seconds, coming in at 17:33. My first 500m split was 8:22 (46 seonds faster than my race on Saturday), my second was quite a bit slower due to lane congestion.

I added 500m afterwards via:
4 laps of easy breastroke,
3 sets of Easy/Med/Fast ( 1 lap easy, 2 laps med, 1 lap fast) -- I love this drill
1 lap easy breast
3 laps easy back
2 laps of easy front crawl.