The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

The Jelly Bean Run

We spent Saturday and Sunday in Cornwall, visiting Guylaine's parents and out with friends on Saturday night.

On Sunday, Guylaine and I ran on the nice fresh pavement across from her parent's house - it's a nice stretch of road with zero traffic - on a 'yet-to-be-developed' industrial park. Being the tri-geek that I am, I have measured the loop, and it is exactly 1.75 km out-and-back (so 6 loops is approx 10 k.... 10.5 k to be exact).

This was the third time this year, we ran this road - again, slightly hung over after a late night on Saturday. I decided to name it the "Jelly Bean Run". And here's why:

1) I am addicted to sweets as much, or more than, I am addicted to triathlon training.
2) Guylaine's parents love me, and know of my sweets addiction -- and the house is always packed with sweets: JuJubes, JellyBeans, Hard Candy, Chocolate... you name - they got it.
3) Heading out for the run, I grabbed a handful of Jelly Beans.
4) Being slightly hung-over, I needed some motivation for the run, so I put 5 Jelly beans in my pocket, and promised myself, I could have one after every lap.

Here are the splits (including the other two times we ran it).


March 28May 1May 29
LoopDistance (KM)Lap TimePace /KMLap TimePace /KMLap TimePace /KM
11.758:434:598:555:068:074:38
23.509:015:099:165:178:254:48
35.259:025:109:445:348:475:01
47.009:005:099:545:398:485:01
58.759:115:159:335:279:505:37
610.508:174:4410:035:459:235:21
Total10.500:53:145:0457:275:280:53:225:04



Not a fantastic run, but some exercise nonetheless. (May 1's times are slow because, I was really hung over that day!)

...oh, and the order of the jelly beans was: Black, Black, Pink, Green, Red. (I didn't have one after lap six... but when we got back to the house... )