The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

Phil's Weblog - February, 2005

Big Blog Backup from old Site, Entire Month of Februrary Posted in one shot...

Monday, February 28, 2005 [13:47]
Topic: Family

I only had a half-hour for training on Friday night, so I did something new - a 15K time trial on the Mag Trainer. It went pretty good. I'll have to start keeping my times somewhere - my time escapes me now, but I think I averaged something like 38km/hr. Of course, I can only compare this time to myself becuase of conditions etc. Maybe I'll add it to my list of Goals and PBs. 15km time trial, (starting with cold legs), on the MagTrainer.

Andrew's birthday party went really well on Sunday. In total there were 9 kids (including Andrew and Laura). 3 girls this year - so it was not nearly as rambunxious as last year - to be honest, it was pretty manageable.

On Saturday, Andrew had a birthday party of his own to attend, at Little Ray's Reptile Zoo. That was fun for him. I took Laura out to the Rideau Carleton Raceway to see if we could find any horses, but there wasn't any activity around the track - we just played in the grandstands for a bit. After, we found a new subdivision being built, and toured some model homes - and played hide-and-seek inside a new model home - that was fun.

Treadmill Report
So far so good! it really does seem like a whole new machine. Very quiet and very smooth. I ran 10km on it last night without any problems.

Work Update
We wrapped up the Subway Way To Dough campaign at midnight lastnight. I tabulated all of the results this morning - a major success all around.

I was tinkering with a new WYSIWYG editor on Friday, it's called, FCK Editor (http://www.fckeditor.net) It looks very promising. Especially since it works with FireFox. I think I'll install it on my own website and try it out for a couple of weeks.

Anyhow .. till next time ..


Friday, February 25, 2005 [09:39]
Topic: Training

10 km last night on the new and improved treadmill... smooth... 7MPH most of the way for a time of 54:00. Not bad for the first 10k of the year.

Thursday, February 24, 2005 [08:26]
Topic: Training

Treadmill Update

O-Mi-GOD!


It's fixed, and it works - and it is super-super quiet. And Smooth. Eric from Fitness Warehouse came by on Tuesday night and replaced the rear roller - that was the problem the whole time.

When we first got it, we were dissappointed at how loud it was - but the manual said, that it's not unusual for it to sound louder at home - we just assumed that was the volume it was going to be - but now, with the new roller - it is so quiet - you can't hear it. The only thing you can hear is your own feet running on it.

In fact, Guylaine, ran on it first. I was upstairs, and could hear her feet, but not the treadmill, and I thought, what the heck is she doing, so I ran down, and couldn't believe that the thing was so quiet.

Last night's workout was a mini-triathlon of sorts: 7.5 miles on Guylaine's stationary bike, 3.11 miles on the treadmill, and then 40 minutes of thumb exercises on Andrew's Intellivision (hehehe).

The run felt great too - I had it at 8 MPH most of the way, and it felt quite effortless.


Wednesday, February 23, 2005 [09:00]
Topic: Family

Happy Birthday to Andrew,
Happy Birthday to Andrew,
Happy Birthday dear Andrew,
Happy Birthday to you.

My son, Andrew Barnes, is celebrating his 6th birthday today!

...and I can't wait to get his birthday present hooked up...


a 25-in-1 Intellivision direct to TV hand-held unit.

I never actually owned one, but 2 of my best friends did, and we spent most of the 1980's wired to the old Intellivision. I had the Odyssey 2 system (which was still pretty neat too).

Training
Masters swim last night = 3900 yds (3550 meters) - incidently to convert yards to meters, mutliply by 0.9144; to convert meters to yards multiply by 1.0936 [according to Google Calculator]

Warmup
400 Easy
3 x 150 Free, Breast, Back [1: Pull, 2: Kick, 3: Swim]
100 Easy

Main Set
2 x 100 [25 Easy, 25 Side pull, 50 Medium]
100 Easy
4 x 400 [50 Easy, 75 Medium, 75 Hard, 50 Medium, 50 Hard ???? forget exactly]
5 x 100 [25 Easy, 50 Medium, 25 Hard]
100 Easy
8 x 50 [sprint on 1:15]

Cooldown
200 Easy

----------
3900 Total
----------


Monday, February 21, 2005 [13:16]
Topic: Training

My first workout in almost 4 days, and it felt pretty good. Swam 500m in 9:10 (one second shy of my PB), and then added another 500m of pull-buoy with my 2-4-6-4-2- breathing. I didn't feel as depressed today as I was on Thursday (!)

Treadmill Update: Supposedly, it'll be fixed Tuesday evening ... I can't even remember the last time I ran.


Thursday, February 17, 2005 [13:32]
Topic: Training

Swam a 500m PB today at lunch time. 9:09 (2 seconds faster than previous). I didn't feel it was a particularly fast workout.

I didn't feel really good throughout - and even started to question why I continued swimming, and whether or not I was cut out for Triathlon. I kept thinking back to how (even though I did fairly well) in past swims, it felt so lonely out there. I liked the bike and run, because you can see the scenery, and the people, and the competitors - but the swim is much different - dark, cold, deep. Maybe some longer open-water training swims will boost my confidence.

Anyhow, when I finished my 500, and saw I had beaten my previous best, I smiled and "got over it". I tacked on another 500m with pull-buoy and 2-4-6-4-2 breathing.

I'll try it again tomorrow.



Thursday, February 17, 2005 [09:06]
Topic: Training

Treadmill Update

To Review:

... my $2000 Horizon Elite 4.1T Treadmill blew up Feb 6, after only 10 hours of use.

... the technician took it apart last Tuesday, and found the right bearing had come apart on the rear roller.

... still waiting ... calls to the store are not being answered ... getting frustrated ... not happy with the machine, or the service so far!!!

On top of this, the control panel to it has come unstuck, the belt has excessive wearing on the left outside edge, and the pulse-grip does not work properly (unless my resting heart rate is 82 and my max heartrate is 88 - not likely).

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 [15:55]
Topic: Found on the Web

From The Paceline

Airing every Sunday at 5:00 PM ET, Cyclysm Sundays will feature same-day coverage of many of the major cycling races, including the Spring Classics, and will be hosted by the rotating team of cycling experts – Phil Liggett, Paul Sherwen and Bob Roll. Lance Armstrong has said he will compete in Paris-Nice, The Tour of Flanders, The Tour of Georgia and the Tour de France, all of which are part of OLN’s cycling schedule.

The race schedule for Cyclysm Sundays follows (same-day unless indicated; subject to change):


  • March 6th Paris-Nice (France)
  • March 13th Paris-Nice (France)
  • March 20th Milan San Remo (Italy)/Tirreno-Adriatico (Italy)
  • March 27th Criterium International (France)
  • April 3rd Tour of Flanders (Belgium)
  • April 10th Paris-Robaix (France)/Redlands* (USA)
  • April 17th Amstel Gold Race (Netherlands)
  • April 24th Liege-Bastogne-Liege (Belgium)/Sea Otter* (USA)
  • May 1st Tour de Georgia* (USA)
  • May 8th Giro d’Italia (Italy)**
  • May 15th Giro d’Italia (Italy)
  • May 22nd Giro d’Italia (Italy)
  • May 29th Giro d’Italia (Italy)
  • June 12th Road to the Tour (Tour de France preview)
  • June 19th Road to the Tour
  • June 26th Road to the Tour
  • July 3rd - 24th Tour de France (France)***
  • Sept 18th Vuelta a España (Spain)
  • Oct 15th Giro di Lombardia (Italy)

    * Tape delay
    ** Giro d’Italia coverage may be expanded to include Saturday Coverage
    *** Tour de France will include daily coverage

    Phil's comment: Cool!

  • Wednesday, February 16, 2005 [15:52]
    Topic: Thoughts

    Lance is going to try it again


    From The Paceline

    Lance Armstrong's Initial 2005 Schedule:

    Mar 6-13 - Paris-Nice (France)
    Apr 3 - Tour of Flanders (Belgium)
    Apr 19-24 - Tour de Georgia (USA)
    Jul 2-24 - Tour de France

    Wednesday, February 16, 2005 [08:51]
    Topic: Training

    My first Spinning Class

    Giant Spinner

    Last night, I took my first Spinning class. It was held at Full Cycle on St. Laurent; but led by Jen Simpson from Cyclelogik. Course details are available here for "The Ride Inside".

    It was a 90 minute session with a focus on speed.

    I anticipated that it would be a heavy workout, and didn't want to run out of energy. So I made sure to have an early pasta supper (around 4ish) to give enough time for it to properly digest.

    It was a heavy workout - my heart was definately pounding the whole time - the sweat was dripping off me in torrents. I managed to make it through ok. We started off with a warm up, some minor hill climbing, and then into the first of 2 time trial sets: 5 minutes at medium resistance with cadence at 110 RPM (27 right knee counts in 15 seconds), 1 minute of easy, 5 minutes at a bit more resistance, 40 seconds easy, 5 minutes at a bit more resistance, 30 seconds easy, 5 minutes with even more resistance -- after that 4 x 1 minute sprints with a resting period in between. Mixed in with that were some other hill climbs and some recovery-type exercises.

    Did I like it? To be honest, not really. I thought for sure I would love it - everyone raves about spinning, but I just couldn't get into it properly. Apart from the "group" atmosphere and the dictated drills, it didn't seem much better than my Mag Trainer workouts. I think my seat was a little too high, and my angle seemed uncomfortable - of course, I should have stopped to fix it, but I'm stubborn like that. I think a big disadvantage was the use of running shoes in the pedal cages - everyone else had proper cycling shoes and was clipped in - this probably makes a huge difference.

    I suppose I was evaluating it more critically than most - as I have to decide what to do with my Tuesday nights - Boxing, Masters Swim or Spinning. Out of those 3, I think the Masters Swim is more beneficial to my overall Triathlon training.

    I did learn after the class from someone else, that I was peddling too much with my toes, and that I should move my heel down more - and when I'm out of the saddle, I lean too much on the front of the bike, whereas I should put more weight on my legs.

    Would I recommend it? Absolutely. Give it a try. The people were very nice, the setting (inside the bike shop) was pretty cool, the equipment was top-notch, and the instructor was very good. I just think I'm better off swimming right now, and getting my cycling done on the Mag Trainer.


    Monday, February 14, 2005 [08:36]
    Topic: Website

    You just have to laugh!

    I'm scanning through my web server logs, because, I'm nerdy like that. And I'm also curious as to who's coming to the site, and how they got here.

    Here are some classic searches:

    On MSN Search: big breast girl nude picture free
    http://search.sympatico.msn.ca/results.aspx?srch=105&FORM=AS5&q=big+breast+girl+nude+picture+free&lang=fr-CA



    Also on MSN: nude volleyball
    http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=nude+volley+ball&first=11&count=10&FORM=PORE

    Who knew a geeky triathlon blog could be so exciting!

    Friday, February 11, 2005 [13:25]
    Topic: Training

    Shifting Priorities? Changing Strategy?

    I started today's swim with a 1500m PB attempt. About 1/2 way through my first 500m, I was feeling a bit tired, but figured I was going pretty strong, so I shifted priorities and half-hartedly tried for a 500m PB. I came in at 9:16, again a few seconds shy of my PB. As I was wrapping up my 500m set, I figured instead of 1500, I would do 1000m in total - 500 hard (actually more like medium), and then 500 pull buoy, to work on my upper body, specifically my left arm.

    While doing the pull-buoy exercises, I added a new twist, 2-4-6-4-2-4-6 breathing pattern, to help with lung capacity.

    So- I think my new thing from now on, (at least up until the Early Bird Sprint in May) will be 500m as hard as possible, followed by 500m of pull-buoy with the breathing twist.

    After the early-bird tri, I'll concentrate on my endurance for the Olympic distance events.



    Friday, February 11, 2005 [08:33]
    Topic: Humour

    OK, I don't normally propogate Email jokes, but I actually laughed out loud when reading these - My guess is that they're 100% made up, but nonetheless, pretty funny.

    Qantas Airlines gripes and fixes:
    ----------------------------------------
    After every flight, Quantas pilots fill out a form, called a "gripe
    sheet," which tells mechanics about problems with the aircraft. The
    mechanics correct the problems, document their repairs on the form, and
    then pilots review the gripe sheets before the next flight.

    Never let it be said that ground crews lack a sense of humor. Here are
    some actual maintenance complaints submitted by Quantas' pilots and the
    solutions recorded by maintenance engineers.

    (By the way, Quantas is the only major airline that has never had an
    accident.)
    ----------------------------------------
    (P= The problem logged by the pilot.)
    (S= The solution and action taken by mechanics.)

    P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
    S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.
    ----------------------------------------
    P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
    S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.
    ----------------------------------------
    P: Something loose in cockpit.
    S: Something tightened in cockpit.
    ----------------------------------------
    P: Dead bugs on windshield.
    S: Live bugs on back-order.
    ----------------------------------------
    P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode
    produces a 200 feet per minute descent.
    S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.
    ----------------------------------------
    P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
    S: Evidence removed.
    ----------------------------------------
    P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
    S: DME volume set to more believable level.
    ----------------------------------------
    P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
    S: That's what they're for.
    ----------------------------------------
    P: IFF inoperative.
    S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.
    ----------------------------------------
    P: Suspected crack in windshield.
    S: Suspect you're right.
    ----------------------------------------
    P: Number 3 engine missing.
    S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.
    ----------------------------------------
    P: Aircraft handles funny.
    S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly
    right, and be serious.
    ----------------------------------------
    P: Target radar hums.
    S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.
    ----------------------------------------
    P: Mouse in cockpit.
    S: Cat installed.
    ----------------------------------------
    P: Noise coming from under instrument
    panel. Sounds like a midget pounding
    on something with a hammer.
    S: Took hammer away from midget

    Thursday, February 10, 2005 [11:58]
    Topic: Training

    I swam my heart out today at lunch in a 1000 m PB attempt. I fell just short by 4 seconds! I took splits at 250m intervals here they are: 4:29, 4:57, 5:09 (includes approx 10 seconds rest), 5:00 for a total of 19:36.

    I'll try a 1500 PB tomorrow.

    Today I was conscious of my head position - I would find myself with it burried too deep in the water, and also my left follow through was exceptionally weak.

    Wednesday, February 09, 2005 [16:16]
    Topic: Website

    My website logs show that people are getting to my site through search engines looking for treadmill conversions. This is because of the cheat sheet I posted a while ago. So, in an effor to support the need, I have created the "Treadmill Conversions" page. You can download the Excel file here!

    http://s121386995.onlinehome.us/phil/tri/treadmill-conversions.php

    Miles/Hour to Km/Hour to Min/Km to Min/Mile plus pace times for distances: 3mile, 5K, 10K, 1/2 marathon and full marathon.

    Tuesday, February 08, 2005 [21:54]
    Topic: Training

    Masters Swim = Pain - snapped something behind my knee cap above my left calf muscle tonight on the butterfly. I've never felt anything so painful. I was able to massage it under control after about 5 minutes - not sure what it was, it's still tender - I hope I can walk tomorrow!

    Otherwise - not a bad workout.

    Warm Up:
    400 Easy
    2 x (150 Pull, 150 Kick, 150 Drill, 150 Swim)
    100 Easy

    Main Set:
    To be honest, I forget! But it included 6 x 100 I.M. (it was the 4th set where I blew my knee/calf - I finished the last 2 with Free-Back-Breast-Free). Main set also included 8 x 50 sprints on 1:00 - I had to take a breather after the 4th and bailed after 6 (This was the last exercise before cool down)

    Cool down:
    200 easy

    Total Workout = 4100 YDS. My Workout = 3900 YDS (3550 Meters).

    Treadmill Update
    Eric, from Fitness Warehouse came by to take a preliminary look. After taking it apart, it was in fact the right bearing on the rear roller that had totally come apart. This was the first time he had heard of it happening - figures it happens to us! Replacement parts are on the way.... ....stay tuned.

    Monday, February 07, 2005 [08:39]
    Topic: Training

    AARGH!
    My Horizon Elite 4.1T Treadmill blew up yesterday... after only 10 hours of use!
    Guylaine was running on it, and I was riding my bike beside her. It started with a rattling sound - that got louder and louder, and then just as I yelled to "STOP!", Guylaine was already reaching for the kill switch - and the whole thing instantly ground to a screetching halt by itself.

    I'm 99% sure it's a bearing problem somewhere, as there was a small (1/4 inch, heavily scratched) ball-bearing on the floor underneath it.

    The repair guy from Fitness Warehouse is going to call me today, to arrange a time to have a look at it. ..so far, I'm not thrilled with it.

    Football
    What a boring, boring, boring, boring game! We watched the first half at our friends house on a 46" HDTV signal - nice picture - but no cool special effects this year. We also had the US FoxTV feed, but the commercials were really weak this year too. We headed home around half time to put the kids to bed - caught the last 5 minutes of the weak half time show - and then drifted in and out of conciousness for the 3rd quarter, and first 3 minutes of the final quarter, before finally conceding it was time to go to bed.

    Winterlude
    Had a great Sunday morning at the ice-slides in Gatineau on Sunday morning - The trick was to get there early, we arrived at 9am just as things were opening up - no line ups at all. The kids had a blast.

    Friday, February 04, 2005 [14:05]
    Topic: Entertainment

    Here it is -- the big Cancun report

    Day 0
    The drive up to Toronto was very slippery! Several cars in the ditch - sorry, there were no cars in the ditch - they were all SUVs. Shawn got us all up in once piece.

    Checked into the Quality Suites on Islington - right by the 401, parked the car, and took the shuttle to the airport. The airport was dead. It was very surreal - it seemed we were the only ones there - we walked up, got our tickets, checked our baggage, walked through security, onto the terminal bus, into the lounge, onto the plane - and off we went.

    Being Julia was the movie - I endured 5 minutes before abandoing it.

    Landed in Cancun ahead of schedule, (around 7:30 local time) got through customs without a hitch, met our Air Canada vacations rep, and got on the van for our resort - 20 minute drive and we were there.

    The neat thing was that we were the only 4 people on the tour package, so there was no hassle checking in at the hotel at all.

    We checked in, unpacked a bit, then headed out to check out the resort - walked along the beach, checked out the gym facilities, ate a late meal at the main buffet restaurant - seafood pizza, seafood in zuchini cups, corn on the cob - so far the meals were good.

    Day 1
    Had a big omlette for breakfast, lounged by the small pool in the sun, ran 5K with Guylaine, took a long walk along the beach strip, had dinner in the upstairs restaurant (Made the mistake of taking the white wine, which tasted like tequila), watched the main show at 9 (Mexican theme), hung out in the lounge for the evening and had tequila poppers.


    Photo by: Me! Title: Gran Caribe Real, the Main Pool

    Day 2
    Orientation in the morning with the Air Canada rep, had breakfast (a bit of everything), lounged by the small pool, ran 5K, had a steak for lunch.

    Went down to the beach (even wore my Speedo). Played tennis in the afternoon. Had a-la-carte dinner outside on the Terrace (minus Shawn - he came down with the stomach flu). Went to the "Decades" show - very interesting as it included a risqué Madonna performance and "nude" cirque de soleil act.

    Day 3
    Pancakes for breakfast. Took the "KRAZZY" bike tour (10K) of downtown tourist area - almost died several times along the way; added a 5K run afterwards. BBQ lunch outside by the pool, afternoon at the beach - played in the ocean, let the waves abuse me.

    Went shopping at the Flamingo Mall and picked up some souvenirs. Had a nice dinner at the Italian a la carte restaurant. Early to bed after Mai Taies in the lounge.

    Day 4
    Chichen Itza with tour guide Huto. A very long day 8am to 7:30pm (3 hours to get there, 3-1/2 to get back). The bus actually hit a cyclist on the way up, and didn't stop - apparently, the policy for this tour company is to not stop (as the driver would be jailed until it was proven he was innocent - which he was). Instead, the accident is called in, and the lawyers (or "liars" as it is ironically pronounced with a Spanish accent) take care of everything - apparently, the guy on the bike was drunk, and didn't sustain any serious injuries, just some scrapes and bumps.

    Anyway - the ruins were spectacular. Of course, we climbed up the main temple and back down again (much much slower on the descent). We also climbed up the pyramid on the inside of the main temple.

    Had Tex Mex for supper on the terrace. Met an older couple from Peterborough. After supper - it was Rock-n-Roll in the lounge with a couple from Red Deere, and a brother/sister from Maryland. -- Many, many cervezas.

    Day 5
    Early morning Run (towards the Flea Market / Bar area). Got a bit lost. Had cereal with homo milk for breakfast. Lounged by the main pool, boogie boarding at the beach. A la carte lunch at Pescatore's (Stuffed Calamari for me was very tasty). Back to the pool until 3:30ish. Back to the room for a nap (it's tiring work being on holidays afterall) Walked into flea market area.

    Back at the hotel, I exchanged some Canadian into Mexican Pesos and took a big hit (7 pesos : 1 $CDN) considering the US rate was 10.8 : 1 $US.

    Supper at Marias (authentic Mexican restaurant) - I had chicken Fajitas. Shawn and Julie had the "Flaming" Spanish coffee - quite a production!

    Later, in the lounge, I was the ultimate Girly-Man or Manly-Girl : Cigar and Banana Daquaris.

    Day 6
    Woke up severely regretting that damn Cigar! Ran 5K to sweat out the sickness I was feeling! Legs are starting to get sore from all the running.

    After breakfast, we took the bus (6-1/2 pesos each) to our "Sister" resort, the Gran Costa Real on the other side of the Lagoon. It was a much smaller place, and perhaps not as nice. Spent a nice day though, on their beach, and in their buffet restaurant. Shawn and Julie played beach volley ball, and then we took the KRAZZY bus home.

    Took a long nap, and then had supper in the mani buffet. Went to the "Carribean nights" show.... and then off to Coco Bongo.

    We had bought express/VIP passes from the Air Canada rep in the morning - US$38 for the guys and US$20 for the girls. This got us in immediately, and straight up to a reserved VIP table on the second (of 3) tiers - what can I say about this place??? If you get a chance to go - do it. It is worth it. 1000's of things to see - millions of watts of sound and music, balloons flying all around, streamer cannons shooting off, bubbles filling up the place. Our own waiter, would bring us fresh drinks, the second we put our old ones down. Check out their web site.



    I can't really explain it - I think it's been described as Studio 54 meets Las Vegas - I haven't been to either, but it's a Rock-N-Roll/Dance Bar - and then after every one or two songs there's a show - here's what we saw:

    Whitney Houston, Austin Powers, Frank Sinatra, Massive Conga Line, "Cocktail" tribute to Hippie hippie shakes - bartenders do the bottle juggling routine etc...

    Next up: Goblin vs Spiderman - this starts off with Goblin, flying around the bar, on his surf-board, and Spiderman, chasing him down - you have to see it.

    Beetle Juice - again, more flying around the bar.

    And then it gets better - to VanHalen's "Jump" - a cirque-de-solei type acrobat act, with Bungee jumping inside the bar!

    Things are too wild by now, so we cool down with a Mambo #9 show, a Britney Spears tribute show, some latin dancers.

    Next up, a bunch of Crazy African drummers - another cirque-de-solei type aerial show to the Passion of the Christ. A Madonna Medley tribute and a Michael Jackson Medley.

    I know I missed some, and to be honest, we left at 1:30, when things were probably just getting started.

    Got home, and had munchies at the 24 hour snack bar.

    Last Day
    Had the buffet breakfast, got packed, checked out, lounged by the small pool, had lunch on the terrace, took a hospitality suite to get changed, met our tour rep in the lobby at 4:10. Took an arranged van to the airport for our departure. Arrived in Toronto about 1 in the morning - picked up by the hotel shuttle and checked in for the night.

    Ride Home
    Got up and headed home from Toronto - back home at 2 to pick up the kids (who had a fantastic vacation of their own).

    Summary
  • Cancun - Excellent: Lot's to do and see, you're not stuck at the resort.
  • Weather - Hot and Sunny: 30+ everyday, maybe 6 hours of clouds the entire vacation.
  • Food - Lots of it: some hot, some cold, mostly tasty, no complaints.
  • Beach - Great: amazing blue water, amazing white sand (never hot), feels like walking in flour. The waves on our side of Cancun, can get rough - but I like that.
  • Resort - Great: we had no major complaints - some people had lots to complain about, but I think, that's more their nature - if you wanted to find faults, I'm sure you could - if you wanted to have a relaxing, care-free vacation (as we did), you could do that too.
  • Value - Exceptional: 1 Week @ $1129 CDN each for flight, accomodation, all-inclusive package - you can't go wrong. Tell me where you can do that in Canada for $160 a night!
  • Would I go back - absolutely.

  • Tuesday, January 25, 2005 [08:50]
    Topic: Training

    I ran 5K last night on the treadmill at 7.5MPH pace, which according to my Treadmill Cheat Sheet puts me at just under 25 minutes.

    Normally 25 minutes is not too to hard for me, but last night it was killer! So, either:
    1) Running on a treadmill is harder than running outdoors
    2) My treadmill is not calibrated properly
    3) I'm not in form

    A moment to ponder, and I think it's a combination of 1 and 3. I certainly hope it's not number 2 after what we paid for the treadmill!

    When I run outdoors, I play little games in my head - "run hard up to that tree", when I get to the tree, I'll be like, "run hard up to that mailbox" - I keep setting little intermediate goals along the way - whereas running on the treadmill, there's nothing to visually pull you along - the best I can do is, run hard till 2.5 and then at 2.5, I'll say, "hard till 2.75". It works a bit, but it's not quite the same.

    I think it'll take some practice. But, I will say, I am still enjoying the treadmill.

    Cancun Report
    Wed: 30 and Sunny
    Thu: 30 and Sunny
    Fri: 31 and Sunny
    Sat: 32 and Sunny
    Ottawa Report
    Wed: -15 and sunny
    Thu: -23 and sunny
    Fri: -20 cloudy
    Sat: -14 cloudy