CMC Swim Race
![]() |
| Fortunately / Unfortunately non of these guys showed up. |
But the problem with open water swimming course set up, is that it's virtually impossible to set up a good accurate course. And tonight's swim was actually 1630m instead of 1500m (which came as a huge relief after I learned my final time).
We used a slightly different layout from the usual triathlon course, in that we would swim 3 shorter loops instead of 2 longer ones. There were 3 bouys total to mark the course, one on each end, and one in the middle. And that seemed to be my Achilles heel - I was always totally off course. Especially on my last loop where I was at least 50m outside the middle bouy.
Final time was 29:53 (for 1630m), not terrible for me. This equates to a 1:50/100m pace, or a 27:30 virtual pace for 1500m. (Using the world's greatest triathlon conversion calculator). I suppose the positive thing was that I might be faster at the triathlon based on the fact that a) there weren't too many swimmers here, and I didn't get any draft at all b) there will be fewer turns around the buoys and c) there will be more buoys to sight on.
