The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

2015 - Year in Review

The Good


Looking back, 2015 was a pretty good year.

PBs:
Super Sprint Triathlon - CMC
Sprint Triathlon - Maple City (4th OA)
Olympic Triathlon - Cornwall - finally went legit sub 2:30 on an Olympic Triathlon
Half-Ironman - Tupper Lake
1500m pool swim (tied with PB from 3 years ago)
1500m open water swim - CMC
8K - Frozen Sole

Near Misses:
Ironman - (8mins 18 seconds over PB, but tougher course at Cedar Point, plus 800 meter run to T1) oh and 1st AG
500m pool swim (5 seconds over PB), but swam faster overall throughout the year
5K - (44 seconds over PB), but in the ball-park of top 3 overall
Duathlon - 5th best time overall, a minute off a PB, but 30 seconds within the top 3

The Bad

2015 was the first year I suffered some real set-backs injury wise:

I was nursing a sports hernia (?) for the first 8 months of the year.

I tripped and fell hard on my knees 3 weeks before my ironman and had prolonged severe pain from deep bone bruising.

I messed up my right leg somehow over-running the marathon at Cedar Point. It took about 7 weeks to recover.

And finally, I somehow managed to mess up my left shoulder while sleeping about 6 weeks ago, and it has me side-lined from swimming for now, with little sign of feeling better, even after multiple rounds of chiro and physio.

The Ugly

I'm finally old. I admit it. I'm one of those guys that gets injured now.