The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

Me, Mom, and Princess Leia

Princess Leia photo-bombed our finish line picture, lol.
I will always remember the 1982 California Run. The year I watched as my mom, in the pouring rain, ran what seemed at the time, an insurmountable distance. It was 5K. But, I didn't know what that really meant. All I knew, was that it was from the Y -- all the way to end of California Avenue... AND BACK! She had been training for a while, and I had joined her on a few jogs around the Crescent. I believe her time was 29-ish something; a standard that, when I first started running myself, 10 years ago, was a tough mark to match.

Fast-forward to 2013, and the 5th annual running of the Heather Saaltink Run. A run, which in short time has established itself as a cornerstone event in the SD&G running calendar. And also, a family affair, at which the running Barneses have been united and many personal bests have been set.

Laura's annual tradition of running with Nana had resulted in the smallest Barnes legs setting her 5K Personal Best for at least the first 3 years... but then, last year, little Laura outgrew her faithful companion's pacing.

This year, I had the privilege of running with "Nana". Our plan was to "PB" 5K.... beating the initial mark some 30 years ago.

Starting off strong... (and all smiles)


We started off well enough... but the hills of Long Sault were relentless, and we rolled in at 32:03. A definite Sportstats PB.

The rest of the Barnes crew set new records: Andrew @ 21:53, Laura @ 27:22, and Guylaine bested her 10K @ 47:17.

Oh, and incidentally, the Heather Saaltink Run again, raised over $10,000 for charity. This year's recipient: Arrive Alive.