The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

Training Recap - the Marathon...

...14 and a half weeks into it. 52 runs down (497km) :: 4 and a half weeks to go, 17 runs left to do (181km) before the big one.

I know I've said this before, but mark my words, This will be my last marathon. Running more than 20K a week, is highly over rated! I literally have blisters on blisters on blisters on a callous.

The training has been okay, but the weather has been just downright lousy. Last night, was the first time this year that I was able to run in shorts and a T-shirt.  We had a freaking snow storm during our long run on Saturday - what's up with that!!!?

This Saturday, will be a good test to see where I stand, speed-wise. The Cornwall MS Run (1/2 Marathon). All of my runs so far in training have been dialed back - in the 6:15 to 6:30/km range - which is fun to run at - and have been completely injury free. But, if I'm going to try and beat 3:45 for the marathon, I'll have to hold 5:20 or better. If I can sneak a sub-1:45 half in on Saturday, that will go a long way to boosting my confidence.

Here's a funny story I need to write down so I will remember it in the future....

Last year, when training for Ironman, I was 100% committed to the goal, that I easily shed 15 lbs through self-control and moderation of beer... this time around, I haven't been able to lose any weight. It got to the point where about 3 weeks ago, I drew a line in the sand and said, "from this point onwards, no more snacking, and no more beer". But the problem was that the fridge was still pretty full of beer, so I decided that the best way to remove the temptation, was to literally remove the temptation. And so I doubled up my efforts, and drank all the beer over the next week or so, such that it wouldn't be there to tempt me. The only problem was that now we had a fridge with no beer -- and well, that's a little uneasy when company visits, so we re-stocked last week - and well, the temptation is still there, and nothing quenches the thirst and replaces carbs after an 8K "just-before-supper" run better than a nice cold brew.

Not my beer fridge, but oddly, every beer featured in this image, has made a visit to my fridge at one time or another.