The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

An evening in Gatineau Park

Cyclists in Ottawa love Gatineau Park. With 1,000 meters in climbing, what's not to like?

Last night, after work, I did my first Complete loop of the park, including all the fun diversions (Pink, Fortune and Champlain).

It's hard to believe that until last night, I had not done a complete run through the park. Only bits and pieces.

I wasn't pushing it. Just out having a nice ride. Without further ado, I introduce Gatineau Park as seen through the eyes of a Garmin Forerunner 301.

The most recognizable GMAP route ever:


The Garmin Elevation profile actually looks pretty close:


Pink Lake Hill - the hardest, as it is the first and your legs are not warmed up. Again, I wasn't sprinting. Grade ~ 5.6%, time = 3:52 (parallel to wooden railings)


Fortune Climb - a little diversion. Again, not sprinting. 8/10 effort. Grade ~ 6.2%, time = 6:01 (to the end of the pavement of the upper parking lot)


Champlain Climb - a bit anti-climactic, I thought this would be hard, but it was just a nice roll.


The view from the lookout. Definitely worth it.

(Photo 'borrowed' from Flicker)