The triathlon training blog of Phil Barnes

I got a fever. And the only prescription, is more cowbell.

Have you got Olympic fever yet? Me, not so much ... yet... although hockey starts today.

I caught a bit of the opening ceremonies, and watched some of the speed skating from the deck of my treadmill. I have to hand it to American, Joey Cheek. Who, despite the odds, proves that speed skating is not about the sunglasses.

What triggers this post, is the bobsled... and the cowbell! I love the shots around the track and the sound of the cowbell.

The cowbell reminds me of the Thousand Islands Olympic Triathlon last summer. Someone along the route had a cowbell and was ringing the hell out of it. Honestly, I would have been annoyed to be beside them in the crowd, but as a competitor - I loved it. Especially on the run. The run for that race was 2 out-and-back loops. And so I passed that cowbell 4 times - each time, all I could do was smile, it was an instant pick-me-up. The last time I passed, I gestured "more, more, more" and they responded ringing the bell like there was no tomorrow.

I got a fever. And the only prescription, is more cowbell.

This post is dedicated to the memory of Gene Frenkle